Introduction to Public Finance
- The syllabus and assignments pages for this class
- Chapters 1 and 2 in A Budgeting Guide for Local Government1
- Chapters 1, 2, and 12 in State & Local Public Finance2
- James M. Banovetz, “Illinois Municipal Review (December 2002).
- James M. Banovetz and Thomas W. Kelty, “The Status of Illinois Home Rule, Part II: Home Rule and Taxes.” Illinois Municipal Review (March 2003).
- James M. Banovetz and Thomas W. Kelty, “The Status of Illinois Home Rule, Part III: Do Home Rule Communities Levy More Property Taxes?” Illinois Municipal Review (April 2003).
- Liz Farmer, “The 7 Deadly Sins of Public Finance” Governing, June, 2014.
- NPR Planet Money, “Episode 945: The Liberty City.” October 18, 2019.
- Chapter 1 in Financial Strategy for Public Managers3
Additional pre-class assignment
Get approval of your instructor for a local government annual financial report that youw ill review during the course. Obtain a city, county or special district finance document from your community or the community where you work (or live). The community’s budget and capital improvement plan (if there is one) may also aid you in your revenue analysis. You can upload these as well.
Best option: Obtain the CAFR from your PSPA 610 community (the same as for your budget review). Contact me if you have any problems obtaining this report.
Robert L. Bland and Michael R. Overton, A Budget Guide for Local Government, 4th ed. (Washington, DC: ICMA Press, 2019). ↩︎
Ronald C. Fisher, State and Local Public Finance, 4th ed. (New York: Routledge, 2016). ↩︎