A cohesive revenue policy is important to the efficient and effective operation of any governmental unit, yet no single revenue structure is appropriate for all types of government or government enterprises. Indeed, no universal revenue structure is discernible within a particular class of governments. The design and administration of an appropriate revenue structure for a governmental unit is a function of the relevant economic and political environment within which the unit is operating, including the legal foundation for the unit’s powers.
In consultation with your instructor, choose a unit of local government in Illinois for analysis. Your paper will be an in-depth analysis of the revenue structure and revenue policy of this government. Normally, this analysis will require consideration of both the unit’s CAFR (Comprehensive Annual Financial Report) and the unit’s annual budget(s) (operating and capital budgets are both instructive) At minimum, your paper must discuss the following issues:
- Legal foundations of this type of governmental unit in Illinois. From where does this governmental unit derive its authority? Is the government subject to Dillon’s Rule?
- General powers and duties of this type of governmental unit. What are the responsibilities of this type of governmental unit?
- General history of the chosen unit.
- Political environment surrounding the unit and its operations. Where does the political power lie in this jurisdiction? How has the political environment shifted over time?
- Economic environment and its effect on the chosen government. Be sure to discuss the resilience of the local government’s finances and operations in an unstable economy.
- Description and explanation of the revenue structure of the unit.
- Critical analysis of the revenue structure of the unit.
- Prescriptions for improvement in the government’s revenue structure.
Your paper will be graded on its general structure, exposition, grammar, and cohesiveness, as well as its fulfillment of the assignment according to the rubric in this syllabus. Be sure to support your analysis with reasoning and evidence. Be sure to acknowledge your sources in the text and in your bibliography (this includes municipal documents, websites, etc.). Academic dishonesty, including incomplete or inappropriate citation of sources will not be tolerated and will be grounds for penalties up to and including failure of the course or expulsion from the program or the university. It is each student’s responsibility to familiarize themselves with department, college, and university policies regarding academic dishonesty, as all such policies apply to this course.
Your paper should be neatly typed (double-spaced) and a maximum of 22 (twenty-two) pages in length not including bibliography, endnotes, or tables.1
If you have questions or problems, contact me for assistance at any time.
If you feel you can cover all the topics and make your case in fewer pages, do so. There is no need to unnecessarily fill pages.↩︎