Introduction to Public Finance
- The syllabus and assignments pages for this class
- Chapters 1 and 2 in A Budgeting Guide for Local Government1
- Chapters 1, 2, and 12 in State & Local Public Finance2
- James M. Banovetz, "Illinois Municipal Review (December 2002).
- James M. Banovetz and Thomas W. Kelty, “The Status of Illinois Home Rule, Part II: Home Rule and Taxes.” Illinois Municipal Review (March 2003).
- James M. Banovetz and Thomas W. Kelty, “The Status of Illinois Home Rule, Part III: Do Home Rule Communities Levy More Property Taxes?” Illinois Municipal Review (April 2003).
- Liz Farmer, “The 7 Deadly Sins of Public Finance” Governing, June, 2014.
- NPR Planet Money, “Episode 945: The Liberty City.” October 18, 2019.
- Chapter 1 in Financial Strategy for Public Managers3
Additional pre-class assignment
Choose an Illinois (or Wisconsin, if you happen to work there) local government to conduct a revenue analysis on. I suggest you choose the local government you current intern/work for. If this happens to not describe you, your hometown or current town are good options. It helps to be somewhat familiar with the government you choose, or at least have access.
I require that every student have a unique local government so the choice of government is on a first come, first serve basis. Email me as soon as you decide.
Robert L Bland, A Budget Guide for Local Government, 3rd ed. (Washington, DC: ICMA Press, 2013).↩︎
Ronald C. Fisher, State and Local Public Finance, 4th ed. (New York: Routledge, 2016).↩︎